Here we go again. After comparing my 2018 goals to the reality last week, now I will be setting out my goals for 2019. You can find out how I fared with my goals in 2018 here.
- Submit some writing-related articles – I’ve written some well-received articles for Author’s Publish in the past and have quite a few drafts of potential articles. I’ve just not had the time to polish them up and submit them! I need to get back into doing this. It’s fun, it’s great for exposure, it improves writing skills and it pays! I should have more time in 2019 with my youngest finally in full-time school.
- Continue To Work On The Six-Part Series, The Boy With The Thorn In His Side and release parts 3 and 4 early in the year – This was a surprising thing that happened in 2018 and pushed some other plans out of the queue. I reworked and revised the original novel into two parts and re-released in 2018. I then wrote a brand new part 3 and reworked what was the sequel This Is The Day, into what will serve as part 4. I then penned a very rough part 5 in a notebook and planned part 6. I know how it will all end and I’m so excited to get it done! In 2019 I aim to release parts 3 and 4 very soon as they are almost ready, and get part 5 to second or third draft status.
- Publish A Song For Bill Robinson – this book is ready and has been waiting very patiently for over a year! I spent all of last year polishing up Elliot Pie and getting side-tracked by The Boy series. This YA novel should see a release in 2019. I may try a few small press publishers first and if no joy, I will publish it with Pict and release probably late spring, early summer.
- Continue to work on YA post-apocalyptic series and get first draft of the first book completed– This is another thing that keeps getting pushed back, but I have got to Chapter Twelve now in the first draft of book one. If I can get that first draft done in 2019 I will be very happy.
- Continue to work on the various writing projects under my Community Interest Company, Chasing Driftwood Writing Group – There are two on the go. One in planning stages. Lots and lots more I want to do, but in 2018 time and fear really got in my way…I’ve decided I really need to get braver and more pro-active with all of this. I started the business in 2015 and became a CIC at the end of 2017. 2018 was my first year as a CIC and I’ve felt out of my depth the entire time. I’ve been on the verge of quitting more than once. I really, really want to do it. Not just the community writing project, but the school project and another project I have in mind. I think about them all the time and feel so passionate about it…yet it all seems too hard sometimes. I’ve decided the main problem is I am all alone. I do have a treasurer and a secretary and they are wonderfully helpful and supportive, but other than that, I’m juggling it all alone. I need to buck my ideas up this year and get things done. I need to work harder and faster and with more determination. And I really really need to work with others!!
- Work on short story/poetry/blog collection – I would love to say I’ll publish this in 2019, but I think that’s too ambitious, and I know it will get overshadowed by The Boy series and Bill Robinson…Still, I do hope to work on it a bit more. I had so many short stories lying around (some new, some from a previously released collection) that I decided it was time to get them all together and release another collection similar to Bird People. I’ve polished up a few and have loads more I need to work on. I’ve also got some old blog posts I want to include and even some poetry. Eeek! Yes, that’s a bit scary. I’ve always been intimated by poetry, reading it and writing it. But the thing is, my head is so constantly full of words it gets hard sometimes, and I just want to expel some. We will see what happens, but to release another collection would be really, really fun.
Well, that’s it. One less than last year! I think the list gets shorter every year! But there is certainly enough here to keep me busy, and no doubt something unexpected will spring up and push in, as always.
What about you folks? Any particular goals, hopes, dreams or aims for 2019??
Please feel free to comment and share!
Happy New Year!!
3 thoughts on “My 2019 Writing Goals”
Yes, I published may goals for 2019 on my blog yesterday! Like you I also have many short stories in the pipeline and also I wanted to do a collaborative poetry publication with a group I began on Facebook for people with long term health problems and disabilities (Don’t Go Breaking Our Arts). But that is also the problem! It is such a big thing for anyone with MH or PHealth problems to take on and do even though the poetry is already there and many people have contributed. But would need someone to put it altogether and I just haven’t the time or energy this year so didn’t stress myself by even putting it on the list. But it is on the back burner of my mind!!
But I think you are way too hard on yourself by saying you ‘need to work harder and faster and with more determination’. There are few people who work faster and with more determination than you and with so much else going on, so be kind to yourself 🙂 You have already achieved so much 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
Ahh thank you Kate. I know what you mean, but it just never feels enough. There’s so much I want to do! And I’m sort of constantly in this 50/50 state over quitting and getting a sensible job that pays money!! I love the sound of Don’t Go Breaking Our Arts. I think this sounds amazing, and so important. I really hope it comes together! I would definitely buy it and support it in any way I could. good luck with all your goals Kate. I think we should have squeezed in one more, meeting up again!!
Oh that would be amazing to meet again, Chantelle! So enjoyed our original get-together! So you never know 🙂 That’s the other thing too, you’re always so supportive of others. I think it comes with the territory though, having too much to do and not enough time if you’re a creative person and I guess better that than the ideas drying up!
I’ve barely started on my goals yet though as have bad ear pain at the moment 😦 Only eased by round the clock painkillers!!